Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tape Timer

As I mentioned before, we built a special harness assembly board to teach new operators how to apply spiral tape to a harness. We wanted to be able to time them as well so we could see improvement etc.
They wanted a timer that would be activated when the operator picks up the tape, and deactivated when the operator puts it back.
So I used a make controller, and a sparkfun LCD screen to do the job. I built some firmware that would do the timing. I connected a light sensor so that when light was detected in the holder, the timer would start, and then stop when it went dark. See it in action below!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool, now I want you to make me a robot that will go to work for me so I can lay around playing video games and eating pork products.
Dad

Anonymous said...

hey, you know how universities are worried that kids don't want to be engineers anymore? I think you'd be great at getting kids excited about science and engineering.

Anonymous said...

I want something new to watch!
Dad